Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tiffin Boxes

I am obsessed with tiffin boxes. I first spotted them in an article in Bon Appetit magazine and I think they are genius. Modern day lunch boxes, great design, functionality, and good for the environment. There history dates back 150 years as a Mumbai food tradition, however the most interesting part is how they got their name. Tiffin was a nickname given by British colonists for their late afternoon lunches, coming from a slang term "to tiff", describing eating between meals. I have been dying to get one and I can't decide which one I want to go with.

There is a set from Design within Reach. And it is currently on sale for $72. But do I really need 3 tiffin boxes?

Then To-Go Ware has a few different sizes that are very affordable ranging from $20-$25 with a number of accessories.

And then for a more modern take there are the brightly colored plastic tiffin boxes by Vivo that are available at a number of store such as Urban Outfitters and ranging from $19-$38.

No comments: